Posts for: May, 2021
How vaccines from your veterinarians in High Point, NC, can help protect your pet
You love your pet, and your pet loves you. That’s why you want to make sure your pet enjoys good health and stays healthy. One of the easiest ways you can do this is to make sure your pet gets vaccinated. Your veterinarian is an expert at caring for your pet and can help you keep up with necessary vaccinations.
The veterinarians of Skeet Club Veterinary Hospital in High Point, NC, offer comprehensive pet care services, including vaccinations to protect your pet.
So, why does your pet need vaccinations? According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, these are the 5 main reasons to vaccinate your pet:
- To prevent serious pet illnesses
- To prevent diseases that can result in costly treatment
- To prevent animal diseases that can pass to humans
- To prevent wildlife diseases like distemper and rabies
- To comply with local or state requirements for vaccinations
Your kitten or puppy should receive their first vaccinations at around 6 weeks old and will need additional booster shots throughout their lives. Early vaccination is important because your young pet does not have a fully matured immune system, and is more susceptible to disease.
There are two types of vaccines:
- Core vaccines, which are required in certain geographical areas or locations because they protect your pet against diseases common in that area
- Non-core vaccines, which are recommended if your pet has individual, unique conditions or needs.
There are some important considerations to discuss with your veterinarian regarding vaccinations, including:
- Whether your pet is an indoor or outdoor pet
- Whether you plan to travel with your pet to certain areas
- Whether your pet is in contact with other pets
- Whether your pet is in contact with wildlife
To find out more about how vaccinations can protect your pet, and when your pet should be vaccinated, call the veterinarians of Skeet Club Veterinary Hospital in High Point, NC, at (336) 886-2315. Call today!